Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pigeon Chronicles


Share |

Yes I'll talk about pigeons, the very common pigeons you see every day on your window sills, on the trees and every where. And you wonder what these hideous creatures are there for. They'll find a place in or near your house and keep making nests and giving eggs. They are a headache for the urban household dwellers.

But these creatures taught me a very important lesson a few days back when I was at home.

Day 1: Two pigeons-a couple were hanging out at my window sill and probably enjoying their new found love for each other. What a treat to watch them together!

Day 2 -day 4: The koochy kooing goes on. The wild flapping of wings can even wake a dead person! Well let us not go into the details.

Day 5-day 7: There are twigs and some dead leaves on my window sill. The love birds are making nest now. And this is some problem because when I close the windows, their nest will get destroyed and eventually their eggs.
So, with a heavy heart, I decide to shove away the twigs. And they do have weird angry expressions on their faces.

Lesson: It is normal to get angry when things do not work out your way. When you are trying to do every bit you can but someone destroys all your hard work. Patience is the key here.

Day 8: I finally put a cardboard in slanted position at the sill so that their twigs won't stay stable. But this didn't deter them. They kept on exploring the whole area and eventually, they were able to shift the card board a bit so that a cosy nesting place was available to them.

Lesson: We have to find new ways to get what we want in life. We'll always find a way. Nothing is stronger than a man's will power and in this case, a mere couple of pigeons.

Day 9: Frustrated with the chaos they are making every day, I re-adjust the position of card board. I also keep a pot there so they are not able to build their long pending nest. The next thing I know, they start assembling the twigs on the pot. I again throw these twigs away. They again find another solution when I am asleep. More twigs follow on the pot.

Lesson: Try, try and try till you succeed. Let nothing defeat you!

Day 10: My repressive measures are increasing moment by moment. I have to evolve new strategies to demolish their would be home. So they keep on doing their assembling work as usual. And today, they seem more desperate.
When I wake up from my afternoon nap, my sister tells me that she has removed all the twigs. When I go to my window sill, I am pretty surprised to find it desolate and the pigeons standing on the window top. There is a deathly silence. After a few seconds, I finally find the reason - an egg, a crack adorning it's top. The pigeons keep staring at the egg the whole evening. Unlike the other days, they don't fly away. They remain there, staring at the eggs, with dismay. Their moroseness also affects me. They not only tried my window sill, but the one at my parents' room. And the purpose for which they were doing it, was no more.
They were at the window top all the night. They slept there staring at the egg. Their faces showed the sadness of losing someone, some one close and some one very loved.

Lesson: In life, we do lose a lot of people in our life whom we love and cherish like no one else. They can be our parents, our friends and the love of our lives. Everyone will leave us eventually. And it is okay to feel distraught and feel dejected. At this time, we should feel the pain and let it bleed us. We should accept ourselves and this pain.

Day 11: I didn't expect the usual flapping of wings  and the twigs. But the pigeons were as excited as the first day and they kept on finding new ways to make their humble abode. Their sadness had gone.

Lesson: Eventually we have to move on over the things we lost. We'll get new opportunities and new people in our lives again and again. We just have to keep exploring and keep learning. Nothing is stronger than will power and perseverance. Never let the flame burning inside you to get diminished.
A friend of mine once taught me that life eventually goes on. And it does.

I never knew these simple creatures could teach me so much! When they can face all hardships and still emerge victorious, then why can not we, as humans?
Never back down!

No comments:

Post a Comment